Business will be watching the budget this Wednesday with interest for measures that drive the economy. If we drive the economy and grow business, jobs will follow.
Our chief wish is the same as it has been for a number of years, and that is judicious spending on the country’s infrastructure. Infrastructure spend must be distributed wisely, and with the future sustainability of the country in mind.
It is imperative that South Africa builds its attractiveness to foreign direct investment. It must also remain attractive to local investors.
"Infrastructure spend must be distributed wisely, and with the future sustainability of the country in mind."
The Business Chamber’s wish list for 2014 therefore includes:
- A focus on the building and maintenance of critical infrastructure;
- A focus on attracting, retaining and sustaining investment;
- A focus on the creation of an environment in which business can flourish, which will lead to the creation of jobs;
- Discipline, and evidence of a firm hand in curtailing unnecessary expenditure;
- Clear indications of a fight against corruption, with individuals held accountable for and facing severe consequences for their actions;
- Solid implementation and delivery, ensuring service delivery needs are met;
- Clear support of projects that will rejuvenate the Eastern Cape economy
Without a firm foundation, the best laid plans will come to nothing.