PUBLISHED DATE: 28-Aug-2019
CLOSING DATE: 27-Sep-2019
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality promotes the development and growth of the arts/culture and heritage sectors in Nelson Mandela Bay.
The NMBM accordingly invites proposals for the Calendar Years 2019/2020 from individual performing artists, heritage practitioners, community groups, NGOs, NPOs, and community organisations active in the arts, culture /heritage sectors, that wish to host development projects (including film development) programmes to promote growth and development in Nelson Mandela Bay.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality will be making two calls for submissions during the 2019/20 financial year.
1. This call for submissions is based on projects/programmes concluding by no later than 31 December 2019.
2. The second call for submissions will be made in the month of January /February 2020 for projects concluding by no later than 30 June 2020, including applications for the National Arts Festival (MAIN & FRINGE PROGRAMME), subject to same conditions as the above (confirmation of participation letter).
1. PROPOSAL FORMAT
1. Successful applicants will be supported up to a maximum amount of R100 000, with a minimum of R50 000.
2. The 2019 call for submissions will comprise the criteria below.
3. Proposals should be in line with the NMBM Arts and Culture Development Programmes Policy Framework, with a strong focus on the following:
· Skills transfer, i.e. training initiatives in cultural development in respect of the Performing Arts, including theater, dance and music, and across these three cultures.
· Arts exhibitions with respect to the visual arts/sculpture and crafts.
· Heritage: Educational heritage projects, with the focus on cultural tourism, inclusive of indigenous heritage and specialised oral history projects.
· Film development, with the focus on script development.
2. SELECTION PROCESS
1. The project/programme must be locally owned and delivered.
2. The project /programme must be held in Nelson Mandela Bay.
3. The programme must be developmental in nature.
4. The programme must benefit Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and Despatch.
5. Social cohesion: Arts project proposals must show the desire to foster growth and sustainability in organisations and individuals that pursue unity among and the management of local artists in Nelson Mandela Bay, encompassing all demographics and clusters in the City.
6. Applicants working in partnerships and that have potential support funding approved will be given preference.
The decision of the adjudicators is final, and the NMBM will enforce aesthetic rights interventions.
A panel of experts will adjudicate the proposals received.
In this regard, the NMBM requests that five adjudicators from various arts & heritage disciplines be nominated, with the nominations to be sent to the NMBM SRAC Direcorate.
· Nominations may include key stakeholders of the NMBM. The criterion for participation is extensive experience in the relevant discipline, with a relevant degree, preferably in the arts.
· The Adjudication Committee’s results for the Arts Grant will be included in the Strategic Events Committee of SRAC, including the NMBM Budget & Treasury & Supply Chain Directorate.
Letters of nomination must be addressed to the Deputy Director: Arts & Culture, NMBM c/o 31 Park Drive, St. George’s Park, Centrahill, 6001. The closing date for receiving written nominations of adjudicators is FRIDAY, 27 SEPTEMBER 2019.
3. CLOSING DATE
The closing date for proposals is FRIDAY, 27 SEPTEMBER 2019 at 12:00.
Should additional clarity be needed, please contact The NMBM SRAC Deputy Director, Ms Nonceba Shoba, At 041 506 2733 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. SUBMISSION METHOD
a. An application form is available at the office of the NMBM Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture in St Georges Park, 31 Park Drive, Port Elizabeth or on the NMBM website.
b. Complete proposals must be hand delivered and placed in the Proposals Box in the reception area at the office below:
Director: Arts, Culture, Libraries, Heritage and Museums
Sport, Recreation and Culture Office
St. Georges Park, 31 Park Drive, Port Elizabeth.
c. No e-mailed or faxed applications will be accepted (instead these will be automatically rejected).
5. POLICY NOTE
The Arts Grant Application is at the end of its three-year cycle.
· Applicants who have received grants in 2016/17/18 financial years are excluded from this application.
· Applications for the National Arts Festival 2020 will not be considered during this first call for submissions.
Ref. 135 – 28 August 2019